Different types of proof of address
Do you know what documents you need for proof of address? This article will help you understand which documents you can use when a lender requires proof of residence.
you apply for credit the credit provider is required to ask you for proof of
your residential address in accordance with the Financial Intelligence
Centre Act (FICA) 38 of 2001.
FICA was introduced in South Africa to help fight financial
crimes like money laundering, the financing of terrorist activities, and to
protect consumers from such crimes. According to FICA, credit providers must
ensure that the customer information they keep is correct and up to date as it
is important for lenders to know with whom they are dealing.
to be used as proof of address must contain the name or initials and the
surname of the account holder, and the physical address the account holder used
when registering the account.
The following documents are generally considered to be
valid proof of address:
- A utility bill, such as water, electricity and rates
which is less than 3 months old.
- A bank statement or statement from another
financial institution, less than 3 months old.
- A telephone account – either a landline or
cellphone account – less than 3 months old.
- A mortgage statement from a financial
institution, less than 6 months old.
- A copy of a lease agreement signed by both
parties, which is less than 1 year old.
- An official tax assessment from the South
African Revenue Services (SARS), which is less than 1 year old.
- Official correspondence from SARS, less than 3
- Correspondence from a body corporate or share block
association, less than 3 months old.
- A retail account statement, less than 3 months
- If you live in a residence such as a hostel or
barracks, a letter from the administration department of the residence on an official
letterhead may be considered acceptable.
- A letter
from a tribal chief where the person lives (only for customers who have a nett
income of R5 000 or less per month).
Some credit providers may consider the following documents
to be valid proof of address:
- Television licence renewal or confirmation
- Motor vehicle registration documents.
- Medical aid statement or policy document.
- Posted traffic fine from a traffic department.
a full list of proof of address documents, click here.
you visit Compuscan’s www.mycreditcheck.co.za
for your credit report, be sure to check that your address and other contact
details are up to date.